≡ Menu
USPS Change of Address

How To Change Your Address For A Temporary Move

When you move, you have to change your address with the US postal service. However, there are many people who are confused about what they need to do if the move is temporary. If you need to change your address for a temporary move, there are a number of steps that you need to take.

What Are The Options?

When moving temporarily, there are 2 options available to you. The option you choose will depend on the length of the temporary move. If you are going to be in the new address for a month, you can choose to have the post office hold your mail. However, if you are going to be moving for 6 to 12 months, you should look at the mail forwarding options available.

USPS Holding Your Mail

If you are going to be away from your current address for 3 to 30 days, you need to look at a mail holding service. This is actually easy to set up and can be done online or in person. The online option is generally considered the easiest method to use.

When setting up this service online, you will need to go to the USPS website as early as 30 days before your trip or as late as the day before you leave. You will then need to press the hold mail link which is located in the manage your mail menu. You can then enter your address and check the availability of the online service is available in your area. You will then have to fill in the dates that you will be away and submit.

If you are going to do this in person, you will need to head to your local post office during business hours and ask for the hold mail form. You have to then complete the form and hand it to the person in the post office or to your letter carrier.

Mail Forwarding

If you are going to be at your temporary address for 6 to 12 months, you can have the postal service forward your mail to you. You will need to pay a monthly fee for activating this service online, but you will not have to pay if you do this in person. The fee is a small $1 fee which is payable when you submit your request online. It is important to note that there is also a premium forwarding service which costs $20 per month.

To apply for mail forwarding, you will need to find the forward mail option online in the manage my mail menu. You will then be able to provide your current address and the temporary address where your mail will be sent. You also need to advise the postal service as to when the mail should be forwarded from. You are able to activate this service for 6 months initially, you will then have to extend it for a further 6 months if you still require it. To submit form visit online.

Comments on this entry are closed.